Welcome to St. Peter’s Lutheran Church
We are a diverse faith community that is proud to be a voice of compassion and radical welcome for over 150 years. We welcome those of every age, race, and sexual orientation to join us at the Lord’s table. Children are valued and appreciated! St. Peter’s offers a family-friendly traditional worship service with a “twist”, ending each Sunday service with an African drumming circle where kids (and adults, too!) get a chance to offer joyful praise.
It is our belief that being a voice of compassion includes honoring and protecting creation in every form. St. Peter’s is proud to house the Pet Food Pantry, a ministry that provides pet food to low income families, and we are working to raise money to install solar panels on the church roof. Once a year we invite anyone who wishes to bring their pets to church for a blessing.
This is a small and passionate congregation. We love music and offer both an adult choir and a children’s choir (directed by the talented Kathy Brink who graduated from Ithaca College with a Masters in Music Education).
Join us for Sunday Worship at 10 AM with coffee hour following the service.
On February 27, 1859, just six years after Port Jervis was incorporated, forty German families met to organize a German Church Society under the name of The German Evangelical Church. They met in a rented room in the Fowler Hall, now the site of the Erie Railroad Station. The Rev. Harmon Veith was called and preached to his countrymen in German every fourth Sunday.
On May 5, 1859, the congregation celebrated their first Lord’s Supper and elected their first Church Council. On May 29th, the Church Council decided that the congregation would be true to the Lutheran faith and named themselves “The St. Peter’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church or Port Jervis, New York”. On June 26, 1859 they joined the New York Lutheran Synod.
The original church building was established in 1860 on Thompson Street on a piece of land donated by H.H. Farnum, Esq. In August of 1866 the church started a German School. By February of 1855. The congregation numbered 100 members and had a Sunday School of 132 children, and the German School consisted of 65 scholars and teachers.
St. Peter’s Lutheran Church moved to our present location when in May of 1949, the plot of ground at the corner of West Main and Hudson Streets was auctioned off by City Attorney Harry Silvers. The church bought the land for $1.00 and sold their previous property to the city for the same amount. Ground breaking and consecration ceremonies were held in March of 1950.
In 1951 the church celebrated its 100th Anniversary.
In May of 1958, the decision was made to sell the previous parsonage at 19 Ferguson Ave (due to the cost of necessary repairs) and instead to build a new parsonage on a property very near the church on West Main Street. By September of that same year the completed, modern, and beautiful parsonage was ready to move into.
In September of 1982, the Mount Hope Day School (a private Catholic elementary school) was given permission to hold daily school sessions in our church basement.